Sunday, May 22, 2011

Trendy Music Artist - RETTA Interview



Trendy - When did you first feel the urge to become a singer and how did your background influence you?

RETTA – The urge started in my mother’s womb (Laughs) ok it was more like how it started because 'when' can't be recalled anymore. To what I know I have always wanted to be a performing artist. Loved art from day one, mum says I started clarifying that when I was 5 but to what I can remember I can fairly say I was 6-7years. I was born and raised in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, well, it wasn't so easy then cause every parent wanted their kids in high potential courses like doctors, lawyers or engineers but it didn't take so long for my family to see that I was made for the stage. Plus, I am born into a musically inclined family so acceptance became very easy with time...Super thanks to Michael Jackson, he made me fall in love with the stage. (Smiles).

Trendy - Where do you draw inspiration for your songs and how would you describe your musical style?

RETTA - I am a soul artist but most of my songs are infused with pop...so you can call me a soul/pop artist...The new breed of extreme soul (Laughs). I get my inspiration from earth and its subjects...basically I write about everything I see, feel or hear that inspire me. I also write about my personal experiences in life as a whole or in the lives of others... there's always a message to be passed across in my music...a couple of artists inspire me as well, namely  Dido, Tracy Chapman, Adele, Noisettes, etc.

Trendy - Which musical artists do you admire and who would be your dream collaboration?

RETTA - hmmm! For admiration there are a lot of them but I'll pick 3 out and give reasons… Adele, she's an intense vocalist, a soul perfectionist. Beyonce, she's a great performer. There are no dull moments with her. Lastly Michael Jackson' a Legend, may his soul rest in perfect peace. And as for my dream collabo artist…that would be BRUNO MARS. (Smiles) love him!

Trendy- Are you surprised by the success you are enjoying now and how far do you hope to go?

RETTA - Oh well! I wouldn't say I am surprised…more like Super Assured for a better tomorrow which is now anyways. As to how far I hope to go, all cannot be put on papers, because your magazine wouldn't have enough space to contain what I'll have to say (laughs) all I can say is I am going to go far above the skies. That's the dream (smiles).

Trendy - What are your goals for the future? Where do you hope to be in 5 years?

RETTA - Oh well after taking all the Grammies and Oscars, cause I would go beyond singing, like I told you, I love the stage. I would like to build the biggest music school in Africa and see to it that music is being taken more seriously and is not being looked down on. My dream for Africa music is to ensure that those coming up to take over from us add more value to what we leave off for them.  In five years I'll still be on your TV screen and all up in your papers and magazine as the queen of soul. We only hope for the best and strive for it as well.

Trendy - What advice do you have for young hopefuls that are trying to break into the music industry?

RETTA - Always take your time and do it right, and strive for perfection and never go with average. Secondly, if you have a dream and you like what you see then live it. Never give up on yourself. Thirdly, Put God first in all you do and he will straighten your path.

Thanks to complete fashion for this opportunity. Stay blessed!





No comments: